- The Tennessee Republican Party voted yesterday to remove three candidates from the primary ballot for the new 5th Congressional District, including Morgan Ortagus who was endorsed by former President Trump. The move comes after the state enacted new residency requirements for Congressional candidates. Ortagus, who is a former State Department official, moved to Nashville last year.
- In the wake of a federal judge striking down the federal transportation mask mandate, the Biden administration says it will only appeal the ruling if the CDC says the mandate is still necessary. Those pushing for and against an appeal both worry about the effect the ruling could have on the future authority of public health agencies.
- Former President Trump announced he will head to Nebraska next week to campaign for Charles Herbster who is running for the Republican gubernatorial nomination. Herbster’s campaign has recently been under fire after allegations of groping by six women. Herbster has denied the charges.
- The Biden administration announced a move yesterday to help revive the county’s struggling nuclear power industry. Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm laid out the plan for a $6 billion bailout to keep struggling plants around the country open. Plants in California and Michigan are among the first slatted to receive financial relief.
- Democrats running for Governor in Massachusetts met for a zoom forum last night. State Senator Sonia Chang-Díaz went after Attorney General Maura Healey‘s record in office and continued to press her on attending more debates. The event was awkward at times due to the remote format, but still managed to hit on key issues, and was more contentious than most candidate forums.
- We covered the special election for the vacant seat in California Assembly District 17 last night. San Francisco Supervisor Matt Haney and California Democratic party vice-chair David Campos were separated by less than 1% in the primary, but Haney expanded that margin for a decisive victory.
|Tues April 19||CA State Assembly 17 Special General|
|Tues May 3||Indiana Primary|
|GA State House 45 Special General runoff|
|MI State House 15 Special General|
|MI State House 36 Special General|
|MI State House 43 Special General|
|MI State House 74 Special General|
|Sat May 7||
TX Prop 1 – Property Tax Limit Reduction for Elderly and Disabled Residents Amendment
TX Prop 2 – Increased Homestead Exemption for School District Property Taxes Amendment
|TX State House 147 Special General|
|Arlington, TX City Council General|
|Garland, TX City Council General|
|Irving, TX City Council General|
|Lubbock, TX Municipal Election|
|Fort Worth, TX City Council 4 Special General|
|Tues May 10||Nebraska Primary|
|West Virginia Primary|
|Newark, NJ Mayoral Election|
|Tues May 17||Kentucky Primary|
|North Carolina Primary|
|PA State Senate 5 Special General|
|SC State House 97 Special General|
|OR State Senate 18 Special Dem Primary|
|OR State Senate 18 Special GOP Primary|
Charlotte, NC Mayoral Primary (rescheduled from 2021)
Greensboro, NC Mayoral Primary (rescheduled from 2021)
|Louisville, KY Mayoral Primary|
|Lexington, KY Mayoral Primary|